Thursday, December 20, 2012

Handmade, DIY Seashell Lamp



It has been a recent mission to make the most of what I already have. This tutorial is a perfect example. I went to Maui a few years back and paid way too much for a picture frame because it had these beautiful pearl colored seashells. It's been sitting in a closet for years because it fell and one or two shells cracked. I didn't have the heart to throw it out being that I was royally ripped off when I purchased it, but I digress... I was able to make a gorgeous lamp shade with these shells and I finally feel like the purchase years ago was worth it, well.... sort of anyways.

All I needed was a tiny drill bit, my husband's electric drill (and an extra pair of hands) a heavy duty needle and coordinating thread. I guess you could do this solo, but it helped to have one person hold the shell in place and have one use the drill.


Instructions:
-Slowly and carefully drill the smallest hole possible in each seashell, keeping in mind that you need to be able to feed a sewing needle through each one.
-Using the lamp shade as a guide, figure out the spacing of each shell according to how many you have.
-Using a sewing needle and thread, attach each shell with a continuous loop stitch all the way around the bottom edge of the lamp shade. Done!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com