Wednesday, January 23, 2013

DIY Terrariums


I've had these mini terrariums in our home for a while now and I'm impressed at how well they have done.  I love succulents because they look so interesting and are pretty much indestructible!  I clipped these off an existing plant and transferred them to little lanterns with glass doors not knowing how they would take.  They have been going strong for a good six months!  So, I thought this would be a great project to share.



 Here us what you will need:
1.)  A lantern with glass panels similar to the one here which was purchased for cheap from Ikea.  I want to say it was 6 or 7 bucks.

2.)  Succulent plants.

3.)  Silicone sealant to seal the cracks between the panels along the bottom of the lantern so they potting soil won't wash out when you water the plant.

4.)  Potting soil, decorative rocks and moss.

5.)  Screw driver (May or may not need depending on the lantern you use).






Instructions:
Thoroughly wash and dry your lantern.  As I mentioned above, if you use the lantern from Ikea, it does have a candle holder attached to the bottom.  I just used a flat head screwdriver and carefully pried the candle holder off to make more room for my plant.


I then sealed the gaps along the bottom with a clear silicone sealant.  Let this dry overnight before exposing it to soil or water.  I also want to mention to be careful not to seal where the door is.  This seems so obvious, but I mention it because it is something I could totally see myself doing and that would be a real mess!



Next you can move on to potting your succulent.  Place the plant in the center of the lantern and cover the roots with a layer of potting soil.  Place a layer of small stones to help keep the soil in place.  Lastly, add a handful of spanish moss around the plant to help retain moisture.




There it is!  These plants need very minimal watering.  I put them in the kitchen sink and sprinkle a few drops of water on them every other week.  
XOXO- Nicole

1 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com