Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Coffee Mug Cozie Tutorial

Winter has arrived and it's chilly outside! This nippy weather puts me in the mood for hot chocolate, teas and coffee! Hence the inspiration for my new project-- Coffee mug cozies. I've seen some really cute knitted ones on etsy, but if you're like me and haven't mastered knitting just yet (Maybe another New Year's resolution?) there is another more quick and easy way to create one. This would make a really great Valentine's gift for a friend. You could tie this around a pretty coffee mug and put a few envelopes of hot chocolate inside.


INSTRUCTIONS:
You could really use any thick fabric of your choice for this. I had some beautiful leftover knit fabric from my sweater recycle (I used the majority of it for my arm warmers) but the pretty red, woven fabric is perfect for a cozie. I then used a contrasting black heavy cotton for the inside of the cozie. Use your favorite coffee cup as a guide, but this one is 8" long and 3" wide. I used a thick braided sting on both corners of each end measuring about 8" long each to enable plenty of slack for tying.




I used my sewing machine, but you could also hand sew this if you aren't familiar with the machine.

Using fabric pins, secure each sting in place. Place right sides of both fabrics together and stitch three of the four sides together. Turn fabric right side out and fold the edges of the open end under,and use a zig-zag stitch to close the opening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com